Friday, August 21, 2026

26.03.27: Level 1; step-by-step; scaffolding [8] expanding

Ūvās in macellō emō. | I buy grapes in the market.

Once you become familiar with the patterns discussed in the previous posts, you can slowly add other concepts. At the outset, restrict such expansion to single words or phrases, for example:

[i] adverbs: indeclinable i.e. they do not change their forms

semper: always

saepe: often

interdum: sometimes

rārō: rarely

numquam: never

māne: in the morning

vesperī, or vespere: in the evening

cotīdiē: every day

[ii] places

domī: at home

in amphitheātrō: at the amphitheatre

in culīnā: in the kitchen

in fluviō: in the river

in forō: at the market-place; in the public square

in macellō: at the market

in scholā: at school

in tabernā: in the shop

in thermopōliō: at a fast-food outlet

Examples:

[1] Ientāculum sūmō. | I take breakfast.

+ Māne ientāculum sūmō. | In the morning I take breakfast.

++ Māne ientāculum in cūlīnā sūmō. | In the morning I take breakfast in the kitchen.

 [2] Ūvās emō. | I buy grapes.

+ Multās ūvās emō. |  I buy many / a lot of grapes.

++ Multās ūvās in macellō emō. | I buy a lot of grapes in the market.

+++ Multās ūvās in macellō semper emō. | I always buy a lot of grapes in the market.

Exercise

Translate:

[a] +
(1) Cāseum in tabernā emō.
(2) Cibum in thermopōliō emō.
(3) Lūdōs in amphitheātrō spectō.
(4) Vīnum numquam bibō.

[b] ++
(1) Vesperī cēnam in culīnā coquō.
(2) Fābulās in scholā rārō legō.
(3) Duo pōcula in tabernā emō.
(4) Multōs amīcōs in forō videō.
(5) Multa māla interdum edō.

[c] +++
(1) Domī multās epistulās semper scrībō.
(2) Duōs crocodīlōs in fluviō saepe videō!

____________________

[a] +

(1) I buy cheese in the shop.
(2) I buy food at a fast-food outlet.
(3) I watch games at the amphitheatre.
(4) I never drink wine.

[b] ++
(1) In the evening I cook dinner in the kitchen.
(2) I rarely read stories at school.
(3) I buy two cups in the shop.
(4) I see many friends at the market-place.
(5) Sometimes I eat many apples.

[c] +++
(1) At home I always write many letters.
(2) I often see two crocodiles in the river!


No comments: