Wednesday, September 9, 2026

13.04.27: Level 1-2 (review): Julia (a Latin Reader) [11] (3)

CȲRUS (3)

Māne igitur servī rogum ingentem parāvērunt et Croesum eō imposuērunt. Tum Croesus ubi calamitātem suam sēnsit, trīstī vultū gemitum ab īmō pectore dedit, et, Solōnis verbōrum memor, "Nōn falsa," inquit, "Solōn, vir sapiēns, dīxit. Ego mē omnium hominum beātissimum tot annōs putābam. Nunc autem nēmō per omnēs gentēs miserior est. Superbiae stultitiaeque poenās dō."

Cȳrus, ubi Croesī verba audīvit, et vultum trīstem animadvertit, misericordiae plēnus, "Et ego," inquit, "homō sum. Hodiē beātus sum, sed nōn semper fortasse rēs bene geram. Et ego fortasse veniam ā Dīs Immortālibus ōlīm petam. Captīvum igitur vinculīs flammīsque līberābō."

Sed iam servī facēs lūcidās ad trabēs porrēxerant; iam flammae rogum paene cingēbant. Croesus autem in summō perīculō manūs ad caelum Deōsque Immortālēs porrēxit. Apollō imbrem dē caelō serēnō mīsit, et aquam in rogum effūdit. Ita Cȳrus captīvum līberāvit, et multōs annōs Croesum cārum amīcum habēbat.

[i]

calamitās, -ātis [3/f]: calamity

fax, facis [3/f]: torch

pectus, -oris [3/n]: breast

superbia, -ae [1/f]: pride

vīnculum, -ī [2/n]: chain, fetter

[ii]

falsus, -a, -um: false

īmus, -a, -um: lowest

lūcidus, -a, -um: shining

memor, -oris: mindful

[iii]

animadvertō, -ere [3]: notice

cingō, -ere [3]: surround

effundō, -ere [3]: pour out

līberō, -āre [1]: set free

porrigō, -ere [3]: stretch out

[iv]

tot: so many

____________________

Accordingly, in the morning the slaves prepared a huge funeral pyre and placed Croesus upon it. Then, when Croesus realised his misfortune, he gave a groan from the depths of his heart with a sorrowful expression, and, remembering the words of Solon, said:

"Solon, a wise man, did not speak falsely. For so many years I thought myself the happiest of all men. But now no one among all nations is more wretched. I am paying the penalty for my pride and folly."

When Cyrus heard Croesus' words and noticed his sad expression, he was filled with pity.

"And I too," he said, "am a man. Today I am fortunate, but perhaps I shall not always prosper. I too may perhaps one day seek pardon from the Immortal Gods. Therefore I shall free the prisoner from his chains and from the flames."

But already the slaves had stretched blazing torches towards the timbers; already the flames were almost surrounding the pyre. Croesus, however, in the utmost danger, stretched his hands towards heaven and the Immortal Gods. Apollo sent rain from a clear sky and poured water upon the pyre. Thus Cyrus set the prisoner free, and for many years kept Croesus as a dear friend.

No comments: