I: Poēta casam in īnsulā habet. Casa mea quoque ibi est, et saepe poētam videō. Ex fenestrīs casae meae silvam videō. Silva pulchra est, et saepe ibi ambulō. Saepe cum poētā in silvīs ambulō. Poēta silvam amat.
II: Soror mea et soror tua nunc in viīs ambulant. Māter tua et māter mea interdum cum puellīs ambulant.
Sed nunc māter tua in casā est. Mea māter in Americā nōn est.
III: Māter mea nunc in Hispāniā est. Soror
poētae in Britanniā est cum fīliā Cornēliae.
Cornēlia in Hiberniā quoque fīliam habet. Māter mea epistulās ex
Hispāniā scrībit.
IV: Casae in īnsulīs sunt. Parvae puellae in
viīs ambulant. Soror mea cum parvīs puellīs ambulat. Īnsulās ex meīs fenestrīs videō. Cornēlia nōn est in
Hispāniā cum fīliā poētae.
(1) vocabulary
- ambulō: I walk
- ambulant: (they) walk
- via: street; road; way
- cum: with
- ex / ē: from; out of
- in: in; on
- ibi: there; in that place*
- nunc: now
*The word ‘there’ is used in English to refer to:
[i] the existence of something e.g. ‘There is
a bookshop in that street. There are also two restaurants.’
[ii] the location of something / somebody e.g. ‘I live there.’
In Latin, [i] is expressed simply by the verbs est or sunt,
i.e. the verbs themselves can convey the sense of ‘there’.
In culīnā est mēnsa. | In the kitchen is a table / a
table is in the kitchen, or: There is a table in the
kitchen.
In viā sunt multae tabernae. | In the street are many
shops / many shops are in the street, or: There are many shops in
the street.
[ii] is expressed by ibi e.g. Casa mea quoque ibi
est. | My cottage is also there / at that place.
(2) This passage focusses on the ablative case. It has
a wide range of functions which need to be discussed step-by-step. Here, we are
looking at the use of the ablative with prepositions, i.e. words such as
‘in’, ‘on’, ‘with’ etc.
The three prepositions in the passage are:
in: in / on
cum: (together) with
ē / ex: out of; from
(3) The endings for the ablative case of 1st
declension nouns are:
[i] singular: -ā [pronounced as a long /a/ sound]
[ii] plural: -īs
[i] -ā: This ending looks like the nominative
singular -a. In written Latin they do look exactly the same because
original Classical Latin writing did not include the macron sign above
the long vowels (ā).
The macron is used in school textbooks, grammars and some
edited texts. However, in the early stages of learning Latin, it is better to
retain them because they not only indicate the differing pronunciations of
vowel sounds but can also, as it does here, show grammatical differences.
Nominative: Britannia est īnsula. | Britain is an
island.
Ablative: In Britanniā habitō. | I live in
Britain.
in
Poēta casam in īnsulā habet. | The poet has a
cottage on the island.
Māter mea nunc in Hispāniā est. | My mother is
now in Spain.
ex / ē
ex can be used with any noun which
begins with a vowel or consonant
ē is used as an alternative to ex,
but only with nouns that begin with a consonant
Māter mea epistulās ex Hispāniā scrībit. | My
mother writes letters from [literally: out of] Spain
cum
This preposition does not convey every sense of ‘with’; it cannot,
for example, be used in a sentence such as ‘I write with a pen.’ It
refers to ‘(together) with’ somebody, but it has other senses too.
Cum poētā … ambulō. | I walk with
the poet.
[ii] -īs: this is the same ending as the dative plural.
Therefore, as with the -ae ending, reading in context will determine which case
is being used.
In silvīs ambulō. | I walk in
the forests.
Ex fenestrīs casae meae
silvam videō. | Ou
t of the windows of my cottage
I see the forest.
(4) 1st / 2nd declension adjectives have
the same endings:
Soror mea cum parvā puellā
ambulat. | My sister walks with the little girl.
Ex fenestrā meā silvam videō. | From
my window I see the forest.
Soror mea cum parvīs puellīs
ambulat. | My sister walks with the little girls.
Ex fenestrīs meīs silvam videō. | From
my windows I see the forest.
LINKS
24.02.24: saying where you live / you were born; saying where
you are; cases [2] ablative singular with the preposition in; Roman provinces
https://adckl.blogspot.com/2024/04/24.html
24.02.24: saying where you're from; ē / ex with the ablative
case
https://adckl.blogspot.com/2024/04/24_4.html
03.03.24: ablative plural of first and second declension nouns
https://adckl.blogspot.com/2024/04/030324-ablative-plural-of-first-and.html
____________________
I: The poet has a house on an island. My house
is there too, and I often see the poet. From the windows of my house I see a
forest. The forest is beautiful, and I often walk there. I often walk in the
forests with the poet. The poet loves the forest.
II: My sister and your sister are now walking in
the streets. Your mother and my mother sometimes walk with the girls. But now
your mother is in the house. My mother is not in America.
III: My mother is now in Spain. The poet's
sister is in Britain with Cornelia's daughter. Cornelia also has a daughter in
Ireland. My mother writes letters from Spain.
IV: There are houses on the islands. Little girls are walking in the streets. My sister walks with the little girls. I see the islands from my windows. Cornelia is not in Spain with the poet's daughter.

No comments:
Post a Comment